Wednesday, January 23, 2013

GOLDEN POINTS: Boston Bruins vs Winnipeg Jets

Bruins 2 - Jets 1 (SO)

The story of my life with the Bruins.  They never ease into anything.  The first game I go to obviously would go to a shootout.  My heart (and liver) are not happy that the B's have started.  I had seats close to where my ex-season ticket seats were (tear!).  But I got to see my season ticket holder buddies and reminisce about the good ole days.  Some day.... some day....

Matinee games are tough for me for two reasons: not enough time to drink beforehand/too early to drink and there's a noticeable increase in little kids around me.  While I think it's great that the 1pm games allow parents to bring their kids, as a young adult I'm more of a night time rowdy bunch guy.  More beer = vulgar language but also = dancing for the jumbo tron.  You usually won't find me on the jumbo tron during 1pm games.

Anyways, here are my thoughts...

- Power play woes continue.  Again the power play failed to score (0 for 2).  They are getting opportunities and there is SIGNIFICANTLY more movement than last years power plays.  I think this is all mental and once they pop in a few PPGs and their confidence grows, we'll see them score at a faster clip.

- Penatly kill dominance continues.  I think we're getting a little spoiled.  Even when the team is on a 5v3, I expect them to kill it (which they did).  They even killed two 4v3's in OT.  The Jets had many opportunities to take the lead this game, but Tuukka and the PK unit shut them down killing all four chances.

- With Seidenberg out (lower body injury), Dougie Hamilton played with big Z.  I thought he played a solid game.  Didn't notice him make any huge mistakes defensively and he was getting involved in the offensive end as well.  He's getting both PP and PK time and had the second highest TOI this game, so you know Julien is liking what he sees.  I doubt Chiarelli will be sending him back to juniors, I think he's here to stay.


Next Up: rematch vs Rangers

No comments: