Friday, January 25, 2013

GOLDEN POINTS: Boston Bruins vs New York Rangers (Part II)

Rangers 4 - Bruins 3 (OT)


Boston goals: Lucic (2), Marchand (2), Horton (1)
New York goals: Gaborik 3 (3), Pyatt (2)


Well, every season I predict the Bruins will go undefeated.  And to my surprise, they have yet to do so.  I thought with a shorter season this was the year that it would happen.  Damn Rangers had to spoil that!!

Coming into the game the Rangers were a disappointing 0-2, so you knew they were going to come out flying to start.  In that situation, you just hope the B's can weather the first few minutes of high adrenaline and then counter once the game settles down.  Unfortunately, the B's came out flat and found themselves down 0-2 very quickly.

Even though they lost the game, I learned a lot about this team.  On the road, in a playoff type atmosphere, against a very good team, the B's were able to come from behind not once, but twice.  They tied the game 2-2, went down 3-2, but were able to tying it up in the 3rd at 3 a piece to force OT.  An unlucky bounce sends Gaborik on a break away and there aren't many goalies that can save that (even though Tuukka got the first shot).

With that, my thoughts...

  •  As I have in the last two posts, I NEED to give Dougie Hamilton props.  If you haven't watched a game, you are missing out.  This 19 year old KID is playing amazing, both defensively and offensively.  He got his first point of the season on a great shot towards the net on a PP (Marchand tipped it home).  It is still VERY early, but I'm thoroughly impressed thus far.
  • When you see 4 goals against you probably don't think the goalie had a great game, but I thought Tuukka played outstanding.  He made some unbelievable saves to give the Bruins a chance to come back to tie the game and to force OT.  I wonder when we'll Khudobin.  We have back to back games next week, so I'm thinking one of those games could be a good time to give the new back up a go.
  • I'm loving the play of "fat" Lucic so far.  He picks up his second goal the same way he scored his first, driving to the net and putting in a rebound.  I just need to see a Lucic fight and I'll be all set for the rest of the season.
  • The power play finally scored a goal, but the penalty kill is still the star.  Keeping the Rangers 0 for 5 on the power play is enormous.  None bigger was Bergeron's effort on the 5v3 penalty kill.  Just give him the Selke award again, don't even bother waiting until the end of the year. 
  • Rick Nash...is...a...beast.  The owner and GM of the Blue Jackets should be exiled from North America.  You had THIS guy on your team for NINE YEARS?  And you only made the playoffs ONCE?!?!  ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?  I knew he was good, but since he was out west and, lets face it, I wasn't dying to watch any CBJ games, I never really got a chance to see him play.  But this guy is a beast.
  • Yeah, Gaborik is ight too.  So what, 3 goals in one game.  Whatever.


Next up: New York Islanders Brooklyners

No comments: