Saturday, January 26, 2013

GOLDEN POINTS: Boston Bruins vs New York Islanders

Bruins 4 - Islanders 2

Bruins goals: Thornton (1), Campbell (1), Chara (1), Bergeron (1)
Islanders goals: Aucoin 2 (3)

It started out as one of those games you know the Bruins SHOULD dominate, but they were not playing up to their capabilities.  Luckily by the third period, they got their shit together and finished off the Islanders Mortal Kombat style.  Well, sort of... Seguin did completely air mail an open empty netter, but still... the Islanders were drastically outplayed towards the end of the game.

The first two periods were very inconsistent.  One or two shifts in a row would provide solid pressure and opportunities, but then the next few minutes the Islanders would be on the attack.  This team kills me.  Even against "easy" teams (sorry Islanders fans that don't read this).


  • I promise, this will be the first blog that I don't talk about Dougie Hamilton.  Why would I talk about his 2 beautiful assists to go along with his golden locks?  The first was only a great, low shot from the point that generated a rebound.  And the second was only a sexy break out pass that led to a break away.  I mean the Bruins have only been trying to get a defender to do that for a decade now (Wideman, Hunwick, Kampfer, Kaberle).  So no, I will not mention Dougie Hamilton.  
  • But I will mention Looch.  I believe it was the last blog post that all I was missing from Lucic was a fight.  If you cross your fingers, wiggle your nose, and click your heals together you get exactly what you ask for!  It wasn't much of a fight, but a poor lad by the name of Carkner decided he wanted to meet Looch's fists up close and person, then take a brief nap. And side note, I want Jack Edwards to commentate my LIFE.
  • One reason for the success of the B's the past few seasons is the consistent play of the 4th line.  Campbell, Paille and Thornton know their roles and play them perfectly.  Thornton and Campbell were rewarded last night with a goal a piece.  What I liked even more, even though it cost Thornton a 10 minute misconduct, was how he stuck up for Paille.  We know Paille would probably lose a fight to the girl scouts.  He laid a beautiful hit on an Islanders Brian Strait.  Tough guy Martin comes over and wants to fight Paille.  Thornton, looking out for his linemate, steps in to make sure that doesn't happen.  Good stuff.
  • Special teams again is the tale of two faces.  The power play couldn't find the back of the net, but luckily neither could the Islander's.  The penalty kill for the B's is still impenetrable.  I will say I like the power play significantly more than in prior years, there is a lot of movement and the B's are generating shots.  Prior years everyone just stood around in an umbrella formation and waited for someone else to do something.  Once they get on a roll, I think the PP will be a weapon for us.
Next up: Carolina Hurricanes  #DontCryWhalersFans

No comments: