Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Golden Points: NY Rangers

Rangers 3 - Boston 0

I'm a pretty lucky guy.  My girlfriend loves Boston sports, actually knows most or all of the rules of the major four sports, and is even a pretty big B's fan.  She even gave away her pink Ellsbury t-shirt when I told her what a "pink hat" was...and my future kids be damned if I ever call her that.

Although I was briefly tempted, suggesting we spend Valentine's Day on the couch with me completely ignoring her and staring intensely at the tube would NOT have been the best decision I've made.  The B's decided to do me a favor though, and lay a stinker the night I didn't watch.  I could only get a little angry at the result, instead of being enraged for the entire 2.5 hours of the game.

It's hard to get a good sense of the game through a box score.  The B's outshot the Ranger's 42-20, they must've DOMINATED!  Well, not from what I read.  "Shots on goal" is a bit of a weak stat in my opinion.  How many QUALITY scoring opportunities did the B's get?  How many of those 42 shots did Lundqvist have a clean view off?  Look at the giveaways and takeaways, the B's gave the puck away 9 times and the Rangers took it away 8 versus 1 and 4. 

From what I've read, the team played pretty poorly and their "compete level" was not where it should've been.  The Bruins succeed when they work hard and outwork their opponent.  When that happens, the offense tags along too.  But it seems like this team just flat out got outworked.  There's still plenty of time, but this team needs to snap out of it.

Tonight we got the Canadiens in Montreal.  That's going to be a circus. 

1 comment:

Ed said...

Watched all of the 3rd and the extended highlights. 2 points that I'd like to add are 1. Corvo is a liability on D and 2. Where the hell is / what the hell happened to David Krejci? Guy has just been out of it almost as much as Horton.