Thursday, February 16, 2012

Golden Points: Montreal Canadiens

Bruins 4 - Montreal 3 SO

I've said it many times.  When these two teams meet, it doesn't matter where they are in the standings, it's going to be a hard fought game.  And that it was.  At least I'm right on one thing...

Overall you have to be pleased with the result.  Going into Montreal's house is never easy and even more so when you have a game the night before.  I was getting pretty nervous in that third period.  You wonder if the B's legs would just give out.  Even though it wasn't pretty at times, the B's were able to pull it off.  Capped off by a sneaky shot from Seguin.  You can't blame Price for not moving.  The book on Seguin reads he dekes more than Charlie Conway, so a goaltender shouldn't bite on his first move...unless that first move is a snap shot in the BACK OF THE NET... BOOYEA!

Now I'm only moderately to fully biased towards the Dude, but I thought McQuaid had a monster game.  During the early stages of the game, I thought the B's were lacking in the physicality department.  Not the Dude.  He see red he hit red.  It's always a good night when the Dude gets into a fight and this one was a very entertaining one.  I give the nod to McQuaid, but give White credit for sticking in there, he took some SHOTS to the dome.  Even Chicken Little in between the glass for NBCSN called McQuaid "underrated".  Yes... I had to rewind the game just to make sure I heard that correctly.  BOOM!

I'd like to give a shout out to Hal Gill.  Although you received the "Wideman"-treatment from me while you played here, you provided a perfect screen in front of your own goaltender that allowed Ference to score.  The only disappointment here was that Ference didn't flip off the crowd...

The B's next two goals were some of the prettiest all year.  Pepe Le Pouliot only has 9 goals, but the one against Florida and now the one he scored last night have been two of the better goals all year.  That's got to feel good to scored against your old team.  For Bergie's power play goal, I'm still not sure how the heck he roofed that shot.  He had nearly no angle and with just a flick of the wrist sent the puck nearly 90 degrees upwards over Price.  Redic

There will always been questionable calls in a game, the refs are somewhat human and will make mistakes.  I don't know if it was a memo from the league or what, but the four goaltender interference was a bit much.  I'd probably prefer none of those to be called.  Three of them shouldn't have been called, and the one called Cole for goaltender interference is iffy.  Even though Thomas was in the crease, it wouldn't have disappointed me if they let that one go too.

I'm so disappointed in the Canadien's fans.  You can boo Chara every time he touches the puck, you can boo the black and gold anytime anywhere, you can boo me.  But you showed how classless you guys are, which we all already knew when you booed the National Anthem.  You don't stand up and cheer when someone gets hurt, no matter who it is.  Chara takes a puck to the chin, is lying on the ice bleeding and you stand up and cheer!!!  I would love to see the owner make a comment condemning that sort of behavior.  But that's the Habs organization for you...

Off to see some old friends, Blake Wheeler and Mark Stuart, out in Winnipeg Friday night.



1 comment:

Ed said...

I'd just like to add that Timmy has been dominant in the shootout this year. After always dreading going into the shootout in previous years, I've been pretty confident all season. Everything seems to slow down for him in there. It's pretty awesome. I believe it was Pacioretty who thought he had him totally beat and was absolutely stunned that Thomas still blocked the shot from his stomach.