Monday, February 20, 2012

Golden Points: Minnesota Wild

Wild 2 - Bruins 0

Now I need everyone to stay calm.  Let's not FREAK OUT because the B's have suddenly reverted back to old B's where their offense eluded them.  I actually thought the B's played a really good game.  I also thought Niklas Backstrom played out of his mind (48 saves).  Nothing was getting by him yesterday.

I don't understand this and maybe someone can explain it to me.  Paille finds himself on the most breakaways out of anyone.  I get excited when I initially see a breakaway, but when I realize it's Paille my hopes for a goal fade.  He had one clear breakaway and one half somewhat breakaway yesterday and just couldn't finish either of them.

Timmy had the start for the B's, and I didn't think he played poorly.  He also made some really nice saves, even on "Timmy Special"... flopping around like a fish out of the water and somehow getting a body part on the puck.  The Wilds first goal by Rau was pretty nice, he no looked the shot and sniped it inside post.  Tip your hat to Rau.  The second was a bit flukey.  Cullen completely whiffed on the first attempted which got Seidenberg moving and Thomas moving the other way which left some open net for Cullen to shoot at once he reloaded.

As always, Shawn Thornton stepped up to the plate and did what he does best.  He sacrificed himself by taking on a much bigger Matt Kassian to try and energize his teammates.  They got their chances but couldn't score.  I thought Lucic had another good game and should've put one in the net but got completely robbed by Backstrom.  Although the results haven't been favorable, Looch has strung together a few good games in a row.  We need him to keep that up.

So the struggles continue.  It's hard to be disappointed in this game because I thought the B's played well.  They just need to get back to basics and keep fighting.  Every team goes through a stretch like this.  How will this team respond?  They have some solid characters in that locker room so I have faith they'll come out alright.  I'm just glad it's happening now and not in April/May. 

Next up: St. Louis Blues on Wednesday.

No comments: