Monday, February 27, 2012

Bruins Trade for Brian Rolston, Mike Mottau, and Greg Zanon

Every year I get all excited for the NHL trade deadline.  What big names are going to change cities??  What's Columbus going to get for Nash??  Who's going to make that deal that puts them over the top?!

This year was as disappointing as the third Xmen.  It was THE LAMEST and most uneventful trade deadline I can remember.  I actually did work at work today because I didn't have enough articles to read.  Damn you selfish GM's.  THINK ABOUT ME!!

Onto the B's...

How do I feel about these moves?  Just ehh.  Definitely don't love them like I did last year.  I don't hate them because hate is a strong word.  I'm just ehh.  It's hard to blame Chiarelli though.  If you looked at his face at the press conference it looked like he'd been working the phones 24 hours a day for the past week...which he probably was.  A combination of the asking price being outrageous for some players, not many teams were sellers, and the players the B's were rumored to want (Hemsky, Whitney) weren't on the table.  I wonder if being the defending Cup champs makes other GM's more hesitant to get a deal done with you.  If I was Chiarelli and another GM mentioned either Rask, Seguin or Hamilton I would've hung up immediately.  That's the very near future right there.  You don't touch those.  Cue MC Hammer please.

I'd like to say welcome back Brian Rolston.  As a welcome home present, the B's have resigned Swedish Sensation PJ Axelsson so you two will once again dominate the penalty kill.  Oh wait, that was 10+ flippin' years ago.  Rolston was WAIVED by the New York Islanders and Chiarelli didn't claim him because he knew he'd still be available late in the day...way to get me real enthused.  Was he your Plan...G?  .  Sorry if I'm not waiting on the tarmac for his return, and maybe he still has a little left in the tank, but I'm just not jumping for joy that our replacement plan for a concussed Horton and one-legged Peverley is a 39 year old underachiever.  I remember him having one hell of a shot.  If that's still there, maybe I can get behind this deal.  Park his aging ass on the point or face off circle of the power point and let him rip shots.  Hey, at least he threw a punch at Burrows... that has to count for something.

In the same trade for Rolston, the B's also acquired Mike Mottau from the Islanders.  This will be a homecoming for Mottau as he's a fellow Massachusettian... or a Massachusettite... or a Massachusettonian.  Anyways the dude (not to be mistaken by the Dude) grew up in this area.  He's saying the right things so far, "I always said I'd take a puck in the teeth for the Bruins. Now I have a chance to do that."  That's not a big sacrifice considering I'm pretty sure the B's probably have baller dental coverage.  Honestly though, I don't know much about him.  He stats are.. eh.  But he claims he can make a "good outlet pass".  Should I map the parade route out now or on my lunch break?

We sent the Isles two low level prospects, Yannick Riendeau and Marc Cantin.  Who?  Yeah don't worry about it.

I guess what would be considered our best/most significant deal of the day would be trading Steven Kampfer for Greg Zanon from the Minnesota Wild.  I'm not going to lose any sleep tonight knowing we traded Kampfer.  He just didn't fit in and with Dougie Hamilton in the pipeline, Kampfer was expendable.  What are we getting in Zanon?  A gritty defender who blocks shots... a lot of shots.  He'll win me over if he pulls the Dikembe Mutombo finger waving "not in my house" gesture for every blocked shot.

With Boychuk being diagnosed with a mild concussion, we'll probably see Zanon in the line up tomorrow.  But if all our defenseman are healthy, I'm not sure how much of Zanon and Mottau we're going to see.  If Corvo keeps doing his best Kaberle impersonation, I would hope Julien would give one of those other guys a shot.


Ladies and gentlemen.... this is your team.  We need them healthy and playing with confidence.  We've seen what this team can do when it's hot.  It's one of the best teams in the league.  If they can't get their act together, we're not repeating.

Anyone have Recchi's number???

2 comments:

ms. malkin's borscht said...

i used to play as Brian Rolston in NHL 96 on the super nintendo entertainment system. i remember him having a strong backhand-to-forehand deke as well as a great wrap-around

Foam Dome said...

Is there any way you can control him in real life?!?

I love how in the old hockey video games, a wrap-around was a near guarantee goal!!