Thursday, September 29, 2011

Zach Hamill: BUST?

I've gotten a few questions from friends about Zach Hamill.  I'm pretty low on him and rather quick to lay on the verbal assault.  Can I really call him a BUST at the age of 23?  Seems a little harsh.  I'm a complete disaster of a bust if you base my career from college to 23.  But luckily I'm not judging myself...

In 2006 we drafted Kessel 5th overall and then we were drafting Hamill 8th overall the following year.  He had over 90 points during the 2006-2007 in juniors, so it seemed like a good pick at the time.  For a team that was struggling to score, I was pretty pumped.  I didn't think Hamill was going to make the club immediately, but had high hopes that a year or so working out and developing in Providence would work wonders.  WRONG!

I looked at all the forwards that were drafted in the 1st round of 2007, paying even closer attention to the ones drafted in the top 10.  Does anyone else see that ugly duckling?! 


Yeah I know hindsight is 20/20 but COME ON MAN!  Don't tell me that there are others in the first round that haven't done anything either. I'd tell you I consider them busts as well.  You need to look at where Hamill was drafted.  Number 8 overall and he's only appeared in 4 games in 4 seasons!!  That's it. 

He's had opportunities too.  Bergeron went down for almost an entire year with a concussion from 2007-2008 and then Savard was out the end of the 2009-2010 season and most of last season.  If the brass felt like Hamill was good enough, they would've slated him in for a few games.

I say he's a bust.  What do you guys think?

2 comments:

ManCave said...

4 games over 4 seasons....open and shut case

unless he worked really hard over the off season, he will need to pull something out of his ass to make the roster (for more than 4 games)


Status: Bust

ms. malkin's borscht said...

the message i came away with is the Bruins could have had Couture... scary