Saturday, September 3, 2011

3rd and 4th Defensemen (and Prediction)


Andrew Ference (3-12-15 +30   $2.25M):  I have done a complete 180 on my opinion of Ference.  Not a 360, Jason Kidd, a 180.  I was shocked when he signed his extension.  I thought that was way too much just for a "locker room" tree-hugger.  He initially also suffered some of the wrath that use to be solely directed towards Wideman.  He isn't that big... he's not that fast... and I didn't think he played particularly good defense.

The tides started to turn when he immediately came to the aid of Lucic during the Thrashers game and it started a wonderful brawl.  Notice the Dude and Horton... and close your eyes when Savard fights.  I would've joined in, but by the time I got there and somehow made my way to the ice the game would've been over.   I told him (since everyone can hear me when I talk/yell at the TV) that he got a 2 week vacation from me telling him that even my brother could play better defense than him, and my brother can't even skate, has a screw in his foot, and is petrified of lightning (you can imagine how awkward the Eastern Conference finals would've been).

Then about a month later, he stood up for Rask when a nobody from the Stars took a shot after the whistle.  He didn't just give him a noogy, he performed the most aggressive version of "got ya nose" I've ever seen.  Adam Burish didn't even return after that.  Alright Sir Ference...you get another 2 weeks and I'll walk to the grocery store instead of driving.

I started to realize, even while he was on his separate two week vacations, I didn't even want to yell at him.  He was actually starting to play good defense.  Maybe that's all he needed were a few rumbles to play with an edge.  Dare I say...  I was actually cheering for him?!?  I'm such a softie.

The icing on the cake came when he initiated one of my favorite brawls against the Canadiens by standing up to goon Moen.  After that I was planting trees, shopping at Whole Foods, and carpooling to work.  I was completely sold.  (This was my favorite fight by Campbell I mentioned in the Energy Line post.  I was going to save it, but screw it.  I'm just going to reuse it.)

Ference was also responsible for the gorgeous retro-Bruins jacket that the MVP of the game would wear.  Brilliant.  I hope I can continue liking Ference and not do another 180 in the wrong direction.  He's not the biggest guy on the ice, but I love how if he's on the ice when a cheap shot is thrown, he's the first one with his gloves off.  We share one thing in common too, we both may or may not have done this to Canadien fans before.  If Canada would stop brewing delicious beer it wouldn't happen as often.  I take no responsibility.


Joe Corvo (11-29-40 -14  $2.25M):  I don't know too much about Corvo.  Once the brass knew Kaberle wasn't coming back (tear...not), they made the trade with Carolina for a 4th rounder.  What I do know is that he beat someone up and that someone's gender is in question.  If it was a female, that is awful and he's already starting on the wrong foot with me.  If it was a dude, that's still awful and he's still starting on the wrong foot with me, but it's a little less awful.

Regarding his hockey skills, I like his stat line.  He would've been the second highest point scorer for a defenseman on the Bruins (only behind Chara).  He scored over half of those points on the power play (5-18-23) and that power play stat line is better than ANYONE on the Bruins.  Maybe Corvo will be what we all hoped Kaberle would be.  He's cheaper than what Kaberle got from Carolina and for a 4th rounder, I'd say he's worth the risk if there is some character issues with him.

I'm concerned with that -14.  Carolina did compete for a playoff position and if they had won their final game would've been the 8 seed.  Having a -14, which was good for second worst on the Hurricanes, on a playoff contending team is a little concerning.  That needs to improve.  I'll give him a little wiggle room if he can help out on the power play.  I really thought they couldn't get any worse on the power play, and then they did.  If he doesn't disrupt the locker room and produces on the power play, this will be a solid pick up.


Johnny Boychuk (3-13-16 +15 $1.88M):  "Wow wow wow, Dome.  What the hell are you doing??  Lay off the peace pipe, only 2 defenseman are on the ice at a time"  I'm including Boychuk here because I'm going to make a bold prediction.  I think he's the most likely candidate to be traded.  Especially if Kampfer or Bartkowski show up to the camp ready to rock n' roll.

Boychuk's play dipped this past season after a great 2009-2010 year.  There's no denying his shot is second only to Chara (speedwise).  Well that's only when he gets it on net.  I thought he was a second too late in letting that puppy fly and ended up shooting into a defender a majority of the time.  He's in the last year of his contract and they already extended McQuaid who's a pretty similar players.

With 1st round draft pick, Doug Hamilton, expected to join the club next year, he either walks at year end or they get some value for him. If there's an injury early on then he'll stick around.  But if another team has an injury to their defense, I expect the Bruins to try and send him off.  This is complete speculation on my part.

No comments: