Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Pain...Oh The Pain!!!

By losing Game 7 in overtime last night, the Bruins did what they've done so many times in the past...cut me deep.  I hate losing.  I hate underachieving.  That's what this season is because of this first round exit: an underachievement.  I'll just keep telling myself that losing in awful ways like this is what makes seasons like last year so enjoyable.

With that said, the B's should've beat the Capitals.  I'm not saying they would've repeat as champions, but they should've won the first round and possibly the second round, depending who they get matched up with.

Why did they lose this series? 

1. It's too late now, but I think Hood's next batch of milk cartons has Lucic's, Krejci's, and Marchand's face on it.  I'm not putting Peverley in that mix because he's a third line winger that was put on the first or second line.  I'd even put Seguin in this category, but he at least tried to salvage his reputation with a good effort in both game's 6 and 7.  When your goal scorers and top players don't produce, it's going to be very hard to win.  Once in awhile your 3rd or 4th line will have to win you a game, but the other times your 1st two lines are suppose to carry your offense.  Where did they go??? 

2. To think the Bruins could get away with another atrocious power play unit is asinine.  Especially in a game that was decided by one goal every game, imagine what a decent power play would've done?  I would argue that a better power play would've led to the B's winning this series in 6...

3. I know I'm a bit over the top with my love for McQuaid, but you all MUST see his value now.  The third D-pairing consisted of some combination of Corvo, Zanon, and Mottau.  Sorry I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.  No, McQuaid isn't winning a Norris trophy anytime soon, but he can play defense, he's mean as hell, and he knows how to get the puck deep.  I hope all three of those traffic cones are gone this offseason.  That leaves a spot for Dougie Hamilton and then I'd sign another older d-men for back-up.

4.  A healthy Patrice Bergeron would've increased the B's chances of winning by a hell of a whole lot.  I'm not just saying that because he missed the potential game winner in OT.  I'm saying this because the B's were noticeably HORRENDOUS at the face off circle last night.  It's a lot easier to win games when you have possession of the puck.  I know that's a bit radical, but just take it for what it's worth.

5.  Heart.  Desire.  Whatever you want to call it.  That "it" that you saw last year, I just didn't see it this series.  They didn't look like they were willing to do whatever it took to win the game.  Maybe they were just mentally fatigued from last year and this season.  Who knows.  But now they have a longer offseason to reflect, rest, and reload.

Those are my main points.  I don't want to hear "Holtby stole the show" or that he was too good for us.  That's horseshit.  If you watched last night he was basically begging the Bruins to score with the juicy rebounds he was letting up.  I thought Holtby played well at times during the series, but he was not this super human goaltender like Thomas was last year. 

This is hard to say because friggin' Wideman is lumped into this category, but you need to give the Capitals D some credit.  They blocked a million and two shots and most of the horrible rebounds Holtby gave up were swept away by the defense. 

Now who am I rooting for?  This is hard.  The part of me that wants the NHL as a league to succeed thinks it'd be best for the Rangers and the Flyers to meet in the Eastern Conference finals.  The fan in me hates those teams and is probably rooting for the Senators because I have a man crush on  Daniel Alfredsson.

In the West?  Kings maybe.  Anybody but Phoenix.  Though it would be humorous.  Has a team ever won the Cup and then relocated within 2-3 years??

I'll still be blogging throughout the summer.  This should be an interesting offseason for the B's.  They are still a championship caliber team, so they only need to make a few fixes...in theory.

2 comments:

ms. malkin's borscht said...

i dont know man. i know im not the same type of bruins fan that u are, but to me personally this one wasnt all that painful. maybe its because i was all used up from that gut-wrenching pens-flyers series. maybe its because the bruins are coming off a championship year in which they OVER-achieved (i think a lot of people would agree with me on that) and this year marked their 'normalization'. regardless, it was a great battle between 2 well-matched teams and the bruins came up a tad short after (in my eyes) putting it all out there.

ms. malkin's borscht said...

oh. and smashville all the way