Saturday, April 14, 2012

Bruins Take Game 1!!!

Bruins 1 - Capitals 0 (OT)    ---   Boston leads series 1-0


PHEW....
A few shots of Jameson and a few homebrews later, I have survived the first postseason game of 2012.  This team kills me!  Of course they would play a 0-0 game (Claude's favorite) and go to OT in the FIRST game of the postseason.  They need to have a general surgeon warning before these games, detrimental to my health I tell ya...

The message to the Bruins was very clear: shoot, shoot, shoot.  I understand why, the young Holtby was playing in his first playoff game and they wanted to test him early.  I just wish after the first period, they went back to trying to create more quality opportunities.  You have to give Holtby a TON of credit.  While I didn't think the quality of shots was necessarily there, he stepped up to the plate.  If it wasn't for the freak at the other end of the ice (known as Tim Thomas around these parts), he would've gotten a shutout in his first NHL playoff game.

Speaking of Thomas, if he plays like that night in and night out, the Bruins have a chance to make a deep run.  No, he didn't get tested a lot, but I thought the shots the Capitals did take were quality shots for the most part.  We're one game in and we may have the save of the series.  When I saw the puck being moved to Ovechkin, stick cocked back about to unleash a laser of a one-timer, and almost half of the net wide open, I swear my coffee table started trembling because it knew a punch and or a kick was coming.  Instead Thomas decided to put his yoga skills to good use and flash a right skate save.  Unbelievable.  Just unbelievable.

The best match up of the night goes to Seidenberg versus Ovechkin...hands down.  Unlike Cindy Crosby, Ovechkin is a baller.  Like him or not, he's tough as nails and loves throwing the big hits (game high 7 last night).  Luckily for him, the Bruins also love playing physical.  The German and the Russian were going at all night.  The great part is that none of it was cheap, it was all within the rules of the game.  The best hit came early on in the game when Seidenberg lined Ovechkin up, but Ovechkin was able to brace himself and even give it back to the Bruin defenseman.  Beautiful hockey...

I thought all the lines except Bergie's line was struggling to find rhythm.  The top especially seemed to be out of sync.  I want to see Looch get in front of the net a little more.  He's one of the bigger forwards in the league and if he parks is toosh in front of Holtby, I'm sure the first line will put some pucks in the net.  GET TO THE DIRTY AREAS, LOOCH!!

Another disappointing aspect of the B's game was their power play.  I will say it looks better than last year, but we all know that isn't saying much.  I think a JV high school teams power play looks better than the B's last year.  At least this year, they are generating chances, keeping the puck in the offensive zone, and use it as a momentum gainer.  Last year, I would've preferred if the refs DIDN'T call a penalty since usually the opposing team would use it to gain momentum back.  So, although better, they need to start scoring.

My "Dennis Wideman" award goes to Joe Corvo.  It's upsetting that one of my favorite players, McQuaid, is out and my least favorite player, Corvo, takes his spot.  He's not tough, he can't play defense, and most frustrating of all he shoots the puck into a Capitals defender EVERY TIME.  Mike Green laid down on the ice many seconds before Corvo even thought about shooting.  Instead of lifting the puck over Green, which I'm assuming every NHLer can do, he shoots right into him.  I'm not sure what's wrong with McQuaid, but I NEED him to come back ASAP.  COME ON, DUDE!!!

Alright peeps, I'll be at game 2 (thanks, Johnny!).  3:00pm on Saturday.  I'll be sure to go bonkers for everyone.  I was 6-0 in the playoffs last year, let's hope I can keep the streak alive!!!






No comments: