Monday, December 19, 2011

Bruins DOME-inate the Flyers

I wasn't able to watch the entire Flyers game, instead I listened to most of it on the radio and watched the ending.  But without being able to see the game myself I feel a full 8 Golden Points wouldn't be right.  Plus, it's starting to get boring writing about this team... but in a good way.  Pouliout is playing well so I can't trash him.  The Bruins are 18-2-1 in their last 21, they've gone from last place to first place.  The Flyers had sole possession of first place and Boston made them look like an AHL team; completely dominating them 6-0.  Yup, two field goals to a goose egg.  Suck on that Philly.

The captain returned from his leg injury and showed everyone that he's still a beast.  He notched a Gordie Howe hat trick: a goal, an assist, and a fight.  Although the fight wasn't as completely one-sided as Chara fights normally are, he did get some solid punches in there.  It's strange to see Chara fight off of a face off.  He doesn't drop the gloves often (understandably so, he's one of the best defensemen in the league) and when he does it's usually because an opponent did something cheap to him or to a teammate during play.

Timmy T earned his 4th shutout of the year (tied for league leader) and is just straight butter.  I take Timmy for granted.  I rarely get nervous.  It's bad.  Previous seasons I would frequently freak out if a team was on a power play or on the break.  I literally think "Timmy will pull this one out" and he does.  It's insanely unorthodox, but insanely effective.  Even when father time catches up to him, Tuukka has been playing very well too.  Not sure if anyone else in the league has a better goal tending duo. 

Don't look now, but the Bruins are 9th in the league in power play percentage and 3rd in the league in penalty killing.  I'm not as surprised with the penalty kill, but 3rd is still very impressive.  It does help when you have Thomas and Rask on your side.  But the power play to be in the top 10 in the league, I'm thoroughly impressed. 

The one negative from the game this weekend would be Lucic.  I just saw he's getting a one game suspension.  I figured that much.  It looks like he tries to get the side of him, but he clearly hits the numbers.  I just wish the refs let someone on the Flyers try to fight him.  There's really nothing better than Lucic pummelling a Flyer (or Canadien which we are robbed of tonight). 

This run is definitely the best Bruins hockey I have ever witnessed.  I just wish this was happening in April / May.  Let's hope they stay healthy and keep this up.  I just don't see any team beating the B's in a 7 game series. 

Pepe Le Pouliot is playing well... Danny Paille is playing well... Zach Hamill is actually playing ... WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE!?! 

Dome-ination... that's what.

No comments: