Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Evil Empire

Tonight we get our first taste of one of the best rivalries in all of sports.  No, I ain't talking about the Yanks.  I'm talking about the Habs.  B's vs Habs have made the Sox vs Yanks rivalry look like a tickle fight between two school girls the last few years.  Yeah, I hate A-Rod, but even Yankee fans do.  Public enemy number one? PK Subban (when are we going to see a Subban vs Horton fight already!?).  I would LOVE to see Chara throw Gill around like he did when Gill brought shame to the B.  But I think PJ Axelsson could take Gill in a fight.  And what a loser Pouliot... oh wait.  He's on our side now. 

It doesn't get much better than a good hockey rivalry especially with two teams that have as much history together and seem to literally HATE each other.  It probably makes it better because you can actually fight the other team (within the rules...sometimes) in hockey.  And boy do these two teams do a lot of fightin'. 

Not to mention the two teams have been pretty good the past few years.  That's what made this Stanley Cup win even more sweet.  It went through Montreal first.  Yeah, winning it going through Florida then Atlanta would've been nice too.  But we had an epic battle against Montreal then mopped the floor with the Flyers.  The two teams I hate the most!! 

It's not uncommon that I spend a few hours just watching some of the classic Bruins/Habs moments.  If you know me, I tend to find the brawls the most appetizing and there has NOT been a shortage of those the past few years.  I could watch last year's brawl on repeat for days on end.

The Bruins are struggling to play their game consistently on a night in and night out basis.  Last year they thrived off playing emotional and that emotion has been lacking to put it nicely.  Montreal is in a similar situation.  They have stunk up the joint so far, going 2-5-2 to start the season.  They just fired their assistant coach and are looking to get back on track.  They did play Philadelphia last night, so hopefully we can catch them a little flat/tired.  I don't count on that though.  With the way these two teams play, it's going to be just like camping... intense!

With both teams struggling, I predict a very entertaining home at home mini series here.  Both teams need to prove to the league they are better than their records and need to prove to their fans that they are ready to step it up.

Bruins.... Habs...  ROUND 1!! 

Remember to follow GoldenSpokes on twitter during the game.  Expect a lot of Dude comments as the mullet makes its triumphant return tonight.

1 comment:

Ed said...

Just one thing about Pouliot: I believe it was Haggs talking with Gresh&Zo on 98.5 this morning and said Pouliot has some pretty serious ill feelings towards the Habs coach because of the way he was treated there. He's still not my favorite guy but any animosity towards Montreal can only help his cause in my book.