Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Marchand Suspended 5 games...and my beef with the 'Nucks

While waiting for the results of Marchand's hearing, I refrained myself from posting because I was getting extremely heated at the Vancouver Canucks and their organization.  Now I'm heated at the Canucks and the NHL and I just can't hold it back.

As I said in an earlier post, I do think Marchand should be suspended.  I thought 2 would be fair, but if you take into consideration he's been suspended and fined before then I'd up it to 3 games.  If you take this instance in a vacuum, then I'm not that upset.  He got two more games than I thought, oh well.

Enter in the lobbying effort by the Canucks.  I just don't see how their coach, Vigneault, can say things like, "He'll get his".  I am shocked that the league hasn't fined him for saying this.  He's basically putting a hit out on Marchand.  Why hasn't Shanahan stepped up?!

And the GM, Gillis, saying things like "a dirty hit by a dirty player".  You don't like dirty players Gillis?!  One of the dirtiest players in the league, Lapierre, flies over and jumps on top of the pile trying to get in a few cheap shots.  Even TSN.ca (the Canadian ESPN) columnist and former referee agrees, Lapierre should've received the game misconduct as what he did is the definition of "third man in". 

How about your "tough" guy Wiese?  Clearly telling Thornton he'd gladly fight him, but only then to back off like a coward.  No, but it's cool for your goon to take on our first line winger.  Does anyone on your first line stand up for themselves or their teammates?

Next Mr. Gillis, you employ Andrew Burrows on your team.  Apparantley you think it isn't a dirty move to bite the fingers of your opponent....then joke about it on national television.

Yeah, Marchand will have to answer the bell someday, but he isn't afraid to.  Maybe someday Burrows, Wiese and Lapierre will "get theirs" too.

Just because our players are tougher than yours, just because they aren't afraid to drop the gloves, just because our team takes after our captain and your team takes after yours, doesn't mean they are dirty.  I would take the make up of this Bruins team over the make up of the Canucks team every...single...time.  Yeah, the Canucks are very skilled, but my neutered dog has more balls than them.

Yes, I believe Marchands hit was dirty.  Unfortunately the league has been very inconsistent with this type of hit and there needs to be clarification now.  There were two instances during the finals last year, one against Lucic and one against Marchand, where a nearly identical hit occurred.  Unlike Salo, neither of them turned their back and luckily didn't hit their head on the ice, but the hits are almost identical.  Why were those not called?  This Boston.com article has the video's to prove it.

Normally you don't see Chiarelli or Julien say much towards another team or player,  but I am very happy that in this situation they stepped up to the plate and defended Marchand and the rest of the team.  That shows good leadership, not what Vancouver's brass is doing.

I'm finished.  I could go on and on, but I'm done.  I really wish we played them again this season, I guess we could if we both make it to the finals again.  I would love nothing more than to spank them again!!!

No comments: