Friday, February 8, 2013

Tim Thomas traded to the Islanders!

Thank you, Garth Snow!!  Thank you!

I found myself stewing with mixed emotions as I heard the news.  The first reaction was pure joy.  Not because Thomas is gone (well sort of), but because his $5mil cap hit is gone.  That was a significant chunk of dead weight we were carrying on the books.  Pooof!  Gone.  We received a conditional 2nd round pick in either 2014 or 2015, but really who cares.  The most valuable part of this trade is the CAP SPACE!  If we put Marc Savard on long-term injury reserve, I think I heard on the radio that we would then have $11mil in cap space.  Let that sink in.  $11mil of cap space to play with.  That is a tremendous amount of room to add a stud player or two.

A caller on the radio had the same thinking as me: JAROME IGINLA.  For the love of hockey gods, please,  let's bring this guy to Boston.  He's on a horrible Calgary team and is nearing the end of his career.  He has one more year left on his contract, and his cap hit is $7mil.  Yes that is high, but the B's have the room and he's a FA after this year.  He's scored 30+ goals 11 straight seasons, scoring 50 or more goals twice.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CALL THEM.

I don't know what they'd want in return.  Dougie and Seguin are off limits.  I'd be hesitant to offer a player on  our roster.  I'd offer up draft picks (yes multiple) and then a pick out of our top prospects: Jared Knight, Ryan Spooner, Jordan Caron, Alex Khokhlachev, etc.  Since he'd be a "rental" player, I don't think the B's would have to give up too much, but hey, make them take our offer.  Load it up now and make a run for another Cup!!

That was my giddiness.  Remove the White House snub, the Facebook posts, the Chick Fil A support, etc, and I'm a little sad this is how the Tim Thomas era is ending.  This guy had one of the greatest sports stories in recent memory.  He fought his way through Europe and the minors to finally be a starter on a team and then basically single handedly ended the B's 39 year Cup drought.  I mean take a look at this video.  Without a majority of those saves, the B's don't even make it out of the 1st round let alone the Finals.

Farewell, Thomas.  It's officially TUUKKA TIME!!

No comments: