Thursday, November 17, 2011

Lucic Avoids Suspension

I have delayed putting this post up because head of player safety, Brendan Shanahan, usually puts a video on NHL.com regarding his disciplinary decisions, but for some reason did not create one for the Lucic-Miller incident.  I guess he only does a video if there is a suspension.  For the most part, Shanahan has done a really good job.  He clearly lays out why he made his decision and I find the videos he posts very informative.

Anyways, I am shocked.  As much as my inner Lucic bias is telling me he didn't mean to hit Miller, there's no question he could have avoided the hit.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining he wasn't suspended, the guy has been on fire lately, but I wouldn't have argued if he got one game.  My fear is that the Sabres will take a run at either Rask or Thomas.  If they do, every player on that ice needs to be ready to fight.  This Bruins team will not shy away from an altercation. 

The real crime here is the Sabres response...or lack there of.  Not only did they not do anything right after Miller was hit, they had the rest of the game to let Looch know what he did was wrong.  Even though he hasn't played like it yet this season, Miller is one of the best goalies in the league.  You see your goalie lying there with his mask off, you need to give that perpetrator the business.  Shanahan should've suspended the whole Sabres team for that.

"But Dome, the Bruins failed to respond when Savvy got hit by Cooke."  Yes, I know.  And if I had this blog up and running I would've torn them apart for that embarrassment.  Maybe the lack of response from the Sabres and the hammering they took from the media and fans will wake them up like it did the Bruins.  You can't even sneeze on a Bruins player without everyone there to back him up.

Each season creates new story lines with every team.  Montreal and Philly have a million and make watching those games very enjoyable.  Next Wednesday's game against the Sabres just got much more interesting.  I love seeing a good Lucic fight, so the Sabres better not let me down.

No comments: